CONNELLS Archives

January 2000

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 18:29:18 EST
I cut and pasted this from the audities list. Sure would be nice to have a
Connells show like this someday.

<<<<From: "Sherman Boim" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Pat Dinizio's living room tour opener 1/7/00
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 11:08:34 -0500

Pat DiNizio of the Smithereens opened up his solo tour in a living room in
Jersey City, NJ and I was lucky enough to attend and be able to report back
to the audities list.

I guess that the house concert trend has now reached the power pop world.
Pat is taking his van on a cross country tour (I don't have the itinerary)
bringing his songs to living rooms. He's got the sponsorship of Fender
guitars as well and the press was there. My friend Mike Handy was able to
host Pat on the opening night of his solo tour in Mike's city brownstone.

I have to say that it was an super-intimate show (how many people can you
fit in a living room?) - about eighty people were in attendance but we
didn't crowd Pat. (I almost said "crowd the stage", but of course there
wasn't one - the audience and Pat were standing on the same floor). Pat
immediately coaxed requests from the fans, so the first numbers played were
the most popular of the  Smithereens' songbook, although he did choose to
save "Girl Like You" for the final song. It was a party atmosphere, the beer
keg flowed, and there were non-music fans there who came to the party and
treated Pat's live performance as background music. I bet at the folkie
house concerts you could hear a pin drop but this wasn't the case last
night.

Pat played on solo Fender electric guitar. His vocals were strong and played
a couple of covers. I requested "Strangers When We Meet" which is my fave
song of the Smithereens. He warned that he'd have trouble hitting the high
notes, but gave it a gracious try, only missing in the last chorus. Pat's
even running for Senator of New Jersey so he passed around petitions to get
on the ballot. The fans were able to talk to Pat, which is of course not
easy during a concert at a less intimate venue. >>>>