CONNELLS Archives

February 2000

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Chadd Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 23:54:01 -0500
Things have been kind of quiet here lately.  Since no one mentioned
the show at Fletcher's in Baltimore a couple weeks ago, I thought I'd
give a little description of how it went.  First off, here's the set list:

Bust
The Leper
Over There
31
Running Mary
Dull Brown & Grey
Back In Blighty
Pretty Rough
Doin You
Try
Gladiator Heart
New Boy
Rusted Fields
74-75
Here Comes My Baby (Cat Stevens)
Slackjawed
Motel
Eighteen (Alice Cooper, I think)
Stone Cold Yesterday
---
Inside My Head
Maybe
Hey Wow
Fun & Games
---
Get A Gun

The sound mix was pretty good--the vocals weren't drowned out as they
usually are--and the guys were in top form.  The crowd seemed very
receptive toward the new songs, which was nice to see, and there was a
good mix of material from all the albums (except Darker Days, of course).
The songs flowed pretty well from one to another, and the energy level
stayed consistently high throughout the show.

The nicest highlight had to have been Here Comes My Baby.  That song
rocked, and it would awesome if they could record it, maybe for a
soundtrack or something.  One of the guitarists from the Mayflies came out
and shared doing the vocals on the main microphone with Doug.  That forced
them to stand really close to each other, and at the end Doug thanked him
and said, "I think he just stole my wallet, but that's alright..."

My favorite quote had to be "Thank you, 'hons'.  Is that right?  Is that
the plural of 'hon'?  Or is it just a collective 'hon'?"

The other highlight was the start of the first encore.  George came
out by himself and started Inside My Head.  After a while, Doug came
out and did a little backup, and then the other guys gradually joined
in.  And the second encore came as a complete surprise.  I wonder
how many people were halfway out the door when they realized the
show wasn't over.

They played for over an hour and a half, which was nice compared to
the disappointingly short set when they opened for Matthew Sweet last
year.  And I have to give credit to the Mayflies.  After hearing all
the talk about them on the list, I went in thinking that they couldn't
live up to all the hype.  But I was pleasantly surprised.  Even my
girlfriend, who isn't the biggest music fan out there, leaned over
during their set and said, "These guys are pretty good.  I like them!"

The new songs sound good, and now I'm dying to see a new album.
Any word on how the search for a new label is going?  Also, maybe someone
should suggest to the guys that they have another internet broadcast when
they do some more shows.  I really enjoyed being able to listen to some of
the shows from the Still Life tour over the web, and it would be nice to
have something to tide us over for a while (and maybe stir up some
interest in the new album).

Anyway, just throwing my two cents in...

Chadd