OHIOFIRE Archives

February 2000

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Don Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 18:01:33 -0500
Yale University's attitude on fire alarms and evacuations, as
reported by Michael Fox, is much like Clemson University's attitude.
We went to a "get tough" position in the early eighties because some
nights we would not get to the end of the block leaving the scenc
before the alarm was pulled again.  I still remember our first "hunt
for the reason for the alarm" under the new attitude.  We kept them
out of the dorm for nearly four hours.  Life has been better since
that night.  False alarms here are down about 80% from that time
period.  Every few years we have to have a "reeducation" period.  It
works, for we have arrived on scene to find students "detaining" the
culprit who tripped the alarm.

Don Collins
Captain
Clemson University Fire and Emergency Medical Services
Box 344010
Clemson, South Carolina  29634-4010

864.656.3925 Work
864.656.7519 FAX