OHIOFIRE Archives

February 2000

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Richard Harley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 15:57:43 -0500
As far as I know there are no standards or guidelines on the placement of
fire blankets by the NFPA or any other source.

NFPA #45 does mention them;4-6.3.2 (A-4-6.3.2) in reguard to clothing
fires.They state in part that these are of secondary importance to the drop
and roll technique,"They should be used only when immediatly at hand."

Here at CWRU we have a few fire blankets in place in some of the labs. They
have been there a long time.

In my opinion if fire blankets are to be in place then they should be in
areas where you most expect to need them as determined by a hazard
analysis.They should also be accessable.