OHIOFIRE Archives

February 2000

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
dgordner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 12:47:27 -0500
One video I use most of the time is "Flashover-Countdown to Disaster". This
video has always made an impact on the participants. "Get Out & Stay ALive"
works real well also!!

I did a fire safety training last night to about 18-20 in one of our dorms.
The videos really had an impact. Ever since the Seton Hall Fire, I stress to
the students that their safety is behavior based. Colleges & Universities can
spend thousands of $$ of suppression & detection systems. However if they
choose to ignore the systems warnings, they are not doing the students any
good. After all isn't that what many trainings are for?? To change the
behavior of our students.

Also I have all training participants fill out a survey after each training. I
ask them to grade me and the material. I get a lot of great feedback from
these forms!!

Doug Gordner, Life Safety Inspector
Ithaca College Campus Safety
Life Safety Division