OHIOFIRE Archives

August 2000

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dan Maas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 08:29:02 -0400
At Cornell University the Department of Environmental Health & Safety
is responsible fire protection system testing and inspection.  Our
Fire Protection Services program is located in the Fire Protection &
Emergency Services Section of EH&S.  The overall program consists of
a Testing & Inspection Program, Extinguisher/Detector Shop and a Fire
Protection Technical Services program.  There are  eight and a half
FTE's assigned to the Fire Protection Services program (I can send
the breakdown and an org chart if anyone wants it) plus the
occasional work study student or two.

The Testing & Inspection Program is responsible for annual
inspections of all fire protection systems (fire alarms, sprinklers &
local detectors) except for halon & fixed chemical systems (outside
contractors do them), annual extinguisher inspections and
monthly/weekly fire pump runs & annual flow tests.  Monthly sprinkler
valve inspections are done by staff from our 6 person emergency
services team.  We have approximately 235 fire alarm systems that
contain around 15,000 initiating devices and approximately 8500 fire
extinguishers.

Extinguisher/Detector shop is responsible for all fire extinguisher
maintenance including installs, replacements, recharges, hydrotests
and periodic maintenance.  Smoke detector cleaning is also done by
this shop.  Most day to day detector cleaning of detectors that have
come in from campus is done by staff from our emergency services
program but the E/D program staff handle building wide cleaning
projects as needed.

The Fire Protection Technical Services Program is responsible for
coordinating all fire alarm/sprinkler shutdowns for construction or
other work, managing our false alarm reduction program, coordinating
all fire protection repair requests, managing acceptance tests of new
systems and managing our central fire alarm console.  The
alarm/sprinkler shutdowns are either done by the Fire Protection
Technical Services staff member or by the on duty Emergency Services
staff member.

The Fire Protection Services program also reviews fire protection
plans for new construction and fire protection system changes.

EH&S Emergency Services staff respond to all fire alarms, trouble
alarms and activated local detectors and do basic troubleshooting and
detector replacement. Repair and maintenance is provided by Cornell
shops.  The Electric Shop has two alarm technicians to do repairs and
other electricians in the Electric Shop regularly install new
addressable fire alarm systems on campus.  The Pipe Shop has two
sprinkler technicians that take care of repairs and maintenance
(including valve replacement if needed) and resets the dry valves
after annual testing.  The Pipe Shop also does some system
modifications and renovations to sprinker systems.

Hope this helps.  I can provide more info or detail if needed.

DANIEL MAAS      (607)254-1634     FAX: (607)255-1642
Emergency Management Coordinator/Event Management Coordinator
Fire Protection & Emergency Services
Cornell University Environmental Health & Safety
EH&S Bldg,  201 Palm Road, Ithaca, NY  14850
email: [log in to unmask]

The comments and views expressed in this communication are
strictly my own and are not to be construed to officially represent
those of my peers, supervisors or Cornell University