MACTALK Archives

March 2001

MACTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
John Moose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University Macintosh Users Group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 11:02:49 -0500
The word on the street seems to be that Mac OS 9.1 isn't written to take
good advantage of the new cache architecture of the two high-end G4's.
(The PPC 7450's have 256K of on-chip L2 cache and 1 MB of L3 cache.)
These machines will probably perform a lot better under Mac OS X or an
updated version of Mac OS 9.x.

Personally, I bought a Dual 533 soon after they were announced. The
price/performance ratio just seemed a lot better. On the other hand, you
can't get a SuperDrive with this configuration and very few Mac OS 9
apps take advantage of dual processors.

John