ADHS Archives

August 2004

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dan Malleck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 00:35:50 -0400
While concerns about the addition of drugs to this area of alcohol studies
are understandable, I have to agree with David Fahey that there's room for
optimism.

As a historian who has studied both alcohol and drug history, I'm afraid I
see more imagined than actual danger in connecting the types of
substances.  There is so much to learn and build upon by connecting the
two.  Personally, I'm seeing all sorts of links between issues of liquor
regulation in the 1930s and drug prohibition today.  And with liquor
control today.  They can be so interconnected!  As for "relevance", well,
relevance is relative, isn't it?  It's not the field, but the practitioners
who imbue it with relevance...

When planning the ICDAH we were actively aware of the need for
inclusion.  Expanding the focus would bring in new people, and honestly,
the range of topics, and the value of cross-"substance" discussion was, as
far as I could see, tremendous.    And very beneficial.  When drug and
alcohol historians get together, they seem to see connections in trends and
approaches that can only enhance our work. Oh, and have a very good time
doing all of this.

"Addiction" and "Contemporary Drug Problems" have not turned their backs on
alcohol as a substance of inquiry.   And even a cursory read will
demonstrate that the SHAR hasn't been exclusively about alcohol for some
time now.

Dan Malleck