SWE Archives

November 2004

SWE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Society of Women Engineers at Miami University <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:36:46 -0500
TechFest 2005 will be held this year on February 19th and 20th in Dayton at
Sinclair Community College Ponitz Center which is right off I-75 in
downtown Dayton.

For those of you unfamiliar with this event, it is put on by the Affiliate
Societies Council of Dayton which comprises 50 separate scientific
associations - such as ASM, SAFE, SPE, AME, etc.  SWE is also a member!

This is a free event where kids can experience the world of math and
science through hands-on experiments and educational exhibits. Last year,
over 2000 kids attended from Dayton and the surrounding areas!

SWE has participated for the last two years. At our exhibit - "What Kind of
Engineer Would You Like to Be? " -  we have the kids take a test to match
the type of engineer with what that engineer does. Then we take a picture
of them dressed up as some type of engineer ( we have props ) and give them
their picture. It is a lot of fun and the kids really enjoy it!

Last year we had trouble finding enough volunteers in the professional
ranks - the SWE student chapters at WSU and UD really stepped in and bailed
us out by working the booth.

I am looking for volunteers for this year.

I need at least 3 people to work the booth at all times. I will be working
both days, all shifts. Here is the schedule of volunteers/times needed:

Saturday, February 19th:

10 am to 2 pm:          T.Scott,  Need two more volunteers minimum

2 pm to 6 pm:           T.Scott,  Need two more volunteers minimum

Sunday, February 20th:

11 am to 2 pm:          T.Scott,  Need two more volunteers minimum

2 pm to 5 pm:           T.Scott,  Need two more volunteers minimum

I know it is early, but I wanted to be sure we have enough volunteers this
year in order to commit to the ASC that we will have a booth.

Please take a look at when you could support working the booth and let me
know by email response. I will follow up with further info and directions,
etc once we have a volunteer schedule established.

Also, to our student groups, we loved having you last year - you really
helped us out. We'd love your help again this year if you can !

Thanks!

Tammy Scott