ZOO408A Archives

December 2004

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:59:49 -0500
Greetings!
Looks like the Cackling Geese will probably be around for their first
official Christmas count! There has been some confusion in identifying
these birds.  There are a number of Canada Goose subspecies (we have a
potential mix of at least three), mix that with some sexual dimorphism,
potentially some environmental effects (runts), and you have the makings of
a real mess!!! However, if you are undecided if it is a Canada or a Cackler
you have a Canada. Cackling Geese (our subspecies hutchinsinii) are a
little bigger than a Barnyard (pekin) Duck. (see photo 1) These geese look
very similar to a Ross's Goose in Canada drag (photo 2). One look at the
bill and there is little doubt about the identification--small triangular
like Ross's [not long sloping like Canada] with steep forehead and abrupt
end to the back of the head (photo 3).
The photos were taken this afternoon at the beach at Hueston Woods.
Cheers
Dave