ZOO408A Archives

January 2005

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
William Buskirk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Buskirk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 11:28:07 -0500
Just a few minutes ago (11:00am, Friday) I spotted a Bald Eagle
circling high over the gorge along Abington Pike in Richmond, IN.

Yesterday Don Gorney and I birded Brookville Lake and found at least
5 Bald Eagles there -- great views (albeit in dreary weather) of
birds in the winds over the Mounds State Recreation Area and near
Sagamore Resort.  It may be that the nastier weather north of here is
forcing these birds our way.

Also of interest yesterday at Brookville Lake:

Horned Grebe 3
Black Vulture 33
Mute Swan 6
Northern Pintail 17 (Bath wetlands)
Canvasback 1
Redhead 14
Greater Scaup 12
Surf Scoter 1
White-winged Scoter 2
Common Goldeneye 68
Common Merganser 25
Red-breasted Nuthatch 1
Winter Wren 1

I had a Fox Sparrow at my feeder (so. of Richmond) yesterday afternoon.

Water levels at Brookville Lake are way high, far above normal pool
(dumpsters from the beaches and ramps are floating about like
metallic icebergs).  Water levels were rising over the access road to
Mounds beach so access may no longer be possible there.

Bill