ZOO408A Archives

May 2005

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Debra Bowles <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Debra Bowles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 19:46:32 -0400
MAY 2005
NATURALIST PROGRAMS
HUESTON WOODS STATE PARK

Sunday May 1st
2PM Trail of the Month-Meet at the Nature Center to find out where the
naturalist will lead you!  Get out and get some exercise after the long
winter, and learn some natural facts along the way.

Saturday May 7th
10AM-1PM Fish Ohio Free Clinic-Meet at the Marina to find out what lies
under the surface of Acton Lake.  Bait is provided, but poles are limited.
Long time and beginner fishermen, fisherwomen and fisher-kids welcome!
3PM Wildcat Chat-Meet at the Nature Center to learn about these powerful
predators at feeding time.

Sunday May 8th
11AM Flower Facts and Folklore- Meet at the Nature Center for a presentation
about some of our most beautiful signs of spring.
1PM Spring Wildflower Walk-Meet at the Nature Center and we’ll caravan to
the Big Woods to hike through Nature’s gorgeous forest floor.  Please wear
appropriate footgear.  Mother-daughter bonding welcome.

Saturday May 14th  (Happy International Migratory Bird Day!)
9AM Birds and Blooms- Join a naturalist as we search for jewels in the trees
and on the forest floor.  Meet at the Sycamore Grove Parking Lot.  Please,
wear proper footgear and dress for the weather.  Binoculars helpful.
11-2PM Songbird Buffet Table-Bring the whole family to the Nature Center to
celebrate International Migratory Bird Day by making your own songbird
buffet to take home.
2PM Tigers of the Sky-Join a naturalist at the Nature Center to meet our
birds of prey.  Learn about their natural history, role in the food chain,
and more.

**Birders!**  Test your knowledge of migrating feathered creatures with an
identification contest at the Nature Center.  Winners will receive an
addition to their birding library.  Contest runs from 10-4:30 p.m.  Please
no identification guides!

Sunday May 15th
8-10AM Audubon Miami Valley Birdathon-The public is invited to join this
group of novice/professional birders to help raise funds for Audubon Miami
Valley’s area environmental education and conservation projects.  The
count-all-species venture starts at the Nature Center and then out to the
trails.  Please call Liz Woedl to sign up:  (513)-523-1782.
1PM Reptile Repast- Meet at the Nature Center for a reptile show.  Stick
around to observe these creatures as they partake of their Sunday dinner.

Saturday May 21st
10AM Garlic Mustard Pull-Join the naturalist to help protect our native
wildflowers from this invasive plant while enjoying the fresh spring air.
Meet at the Nature Center.
1PM Lore of the Forest Floor-Meet at the Nature Center and caravan to the
Big Woods for a hike.  Learn some stories about the plants in this special
old growth forest.
3PM Vulture Culture-Meet at the Nature Center to learn about these homely,
yet handsomely interesting members of nature’s clean up crew.

Sunday May 22nd
9AM Peaceful Morning Paddle-Join the naturalist for a serene view of Acton
Lake from by canoe.  There is a charge of $6+tax per canoe.  Meet at the
Marina.  Canoes are limited, so please arrive early.
2PM Predators and Prey-Come to the Nature Center to meet some of Ohio’s
native wildlife.  Learn hunting strategies of some of our raptors and cats,
followed by a short trip to the deer pen to see the other side of the story.

PLEASE SEE SEPARATE SCHEDULE FOR MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND PROGRAMS!
*COMING SOON*

All children must be accompanied by an adult to attend programs.
Notify the naturalist if special accommodations may be needed for your
participation.
All programs subject to change.