ZOO408A Archives

September 2005

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
William Buskirk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Buskirk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Sep 2005 12:46:06 -0500
I began this morning (17 Sept 2005) pre-dawn near a newly discovered
wetland in SW Wayne Co.  Lots of thrushes calling overhead as dawn
first began.  I estimated 54 Swainson's, 8 Grey-cheeked and 6 Veery
in about a half hour of listening.  Shortly after first light 180
Wood Ducks left the wetland, a Wilson's Snipe and 2 Green Herons flew
by and two Red-headed Woodpeckers began calling nearby.

At Brookville Lake I visited Treaty Line, Dunlapsville, Mounds and
Fairfield Causeway.  Highlights (78 species, total for day):

Double-crested Cormorant 99
Great Egret 17
Blue-winged Teal 25
Northern Shoveler 3
Green-winged Teal 1
Broad-winged Hawk 1
Lesser Yellowlegs 1
Least Sandpiper 5
Pectoral Sandpiper 1
Stilt Sandpiper 4
LAUGHING GULL 1 basic adult at Mounds SRA, Franklin Co.
Ring-billed Gull 190
Common Tern 7 (3 at Dunlapsville, Union Co., 4 at Mounds, Franklin Co.)
Yellow-throated Vireo - 1 singing
Blackpoll Warbler 1
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 5
Bobolink 1