ZOO408A Archives

September 2005

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 21:37:21 -0400
Greetings... two more tough birds! I think these two are in the "BayPoll"
set with 9a checking in as a HY bay-breasted warbler and 10a a HY(?)
blackpoll. If the feet on 10a were obscured, it would be a tougher call,
because a good way to separate bay-breasted and blackpoll warblers is by leg
color: bay-breasteds usually have dark or gray-colored legs and blackpolls
have yellowish legs, except for some HY blackpolls which sometimes have
entirely dark legs, with the exception of the bottoms of their "feet" which
are always yellow, even if the legs and the top of the feet are dark. The
clear-breasted look of 9a, the faint eyeline, as opposed to what I imagine
to be the slightly darker eyeline on 10a and the streaked breast on 10a also
seem like good clues to me. Bay-breasteds have buffy undertail coverts,
while blackpolls have white undertail coverts. I think I see that contrast
in the two undertail hint photos. Having said that . . .  sometimes you just
have to call these things "BayPolls" or shrug your shoulders and admit you
just don't know.

What makes me a little cautious is that I know you guys have pine warblers
in the Hueston Woods area--I never encounter that species here in the Mill
Creek valley where I do almost of all of my fall birding. But neither bird
looks right for a pine to me.

I put together a chart five years ago using sightings reports from Ned
Keller's Birding in Cincinnati Bird Sightings Database for thirteen of the
warbler species we get as common migrants in the fall. (Something I doubt
I'd have time to do today with two small kids to chase around!) I broke down
the number of sightings for each month by "week" periods. It's not
scientific, but I think it gives a sense at least of the abundance in our
area of bay-breasted and blackpoll warblers. It's interesting to see the
disparity in reports of blackpolls versus bay-breasteds during fall
migration. Throughout the fall in the Cincinnati-area, bay-breasted reports
outnumbered blackpoll reports by about 3 to 1 at the time I put the chart
together. These are merely reports of either species collected over a period
of 10+ years; sometimes (most times) the reporters don't provide numbers of
individuals. So it's not meant to be total numbers of birds, but rather the
number of reports of each species. Here's a quick breakdown:

August week 4: 10 bay-breasted : 2 blackpoll
Sept. wk 1:    31 BBWA : 10 BLPW
Sept. wk 2:    31 BBWA : 10 BLPW
Sept. wk 3:    28 BBWA : 13 BLPW
Sept. wk 4:    28 BBWA :  10 BLPW
Oct. wk 1:     13 BBWA :  5 BLPW
Oct. wk 2:     10 BBWA :  3 BLPW

I'd be interested in hearing what sort of ratios Bill Buskirk finds in the
Whitewater Valley or what birders in other places in our area find. I would
bet the further north you go in the region, the more blackpolls you find,
given their rather straightforward eastward migration route out of their
breeding grounds. It will be interesting to see how Dave and Jill's banding
results for the two species turn out as the years go by.

If you get a chance to bird along Lake Erie in the fall, you see many more
blackpolls than we get down here. There's a chapter in a book called
"Migrations of Angels" about blackpoll warblers that is fascinating to read.
In fact, the whole book is good reading. A number of ornithologists chipped
in chapters on different migration topics, including sandhill cranes, rufous
hummingbirds, the importance of Gulf Coast habitats for migration staging,
the crazy trek of blackpolls eastward across the northern US and southern
Canada to the US northeast coast, into the Atlantic, and nonstop over
Burmuda to South America, etc. The little butter balls fly over the Atlantic
for upwards of 100 hours straight to reach South America. Amazing stuff.
Makes you want to put down the book and go study zoology and ornithology,
which some of you are already lucky enough to be doing!

Take care,
---Mike Busam
Schumacher-Dugan, OH