EMS Archives

October 2005

EMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Kaara Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 21:10:37 -0400
Dear All,

Professor Tomarken alerted me to this via a few other parties.

best, Kaara Peterson

---------------------------- Subject: CFP: Literary London 2006
Representations of London in Literature (UK) (2/28/06; 7/13/06-7/14/06)
From:    "Lawrence Phillips"
>Date:    Thu, October 6, 2005 10:11 am
>To:      [log in to unmask]
>
>Literary London 2006
>
>Representations of London in Literature
>An Interdisciplinary Conference
>
>Hosted by The Department of English, Maritime Campus, University of
Greenwich, London.

>13th to 14th July 2005
>
>Plenary speakers: Jack Lynch (Rutgers University)
>		Other plenary speakers to be confirmed.
>
>Call for Papers
>
>The 5th Annual Literary London conference will be hosted by the
>Department of English University of Greenwich, London, at their Maritime
Campus based in the Old Royal Naval College
>(http://www.greenwichfoundation.org.uk/) with buildings designed by Sir
Christopher Wren and others.

>London is one of the world's major cities with a long and rich literary
tradition reflecting both its diversity and its significance as a
cultural and commercial centre. Literary London 2005 aims to:

>* Read literary texts in their historical and social context and in
relation to theoretical approaches to the study of the metropolis. *
Investigate the changing cultural and historical geography of
>London.
>* Consider the social, political, and spiritual fears, hopes, and
perceptions that have inspired representations of London.
>* Trace different traditions of representing London and examine how the
pluralism of London society is reflected in London literature.
>* Celebrate the contribution London and Londoners have made to English
literature

>Proposals are invited for 20-minute papers which consider any period or
genre of English literature about, set in, inspired by, or alluding to
central and suburban London and its environs, from the city's roots in
pre-Roman times to the present day.

>While the main focus of the conference will be on literary texts, we
actively encourage interdisciplinary contributions relating film,
architecture, geography, theories of urban space, etc., to literary
representations of London. Papers from postgraduate students are welcome
for consideration.

>While proposals on all topics and periods of London literature are
encouraged, given the historical associations of Greenwich's Maritime
Campus and the area as a whole, this year we would especially welcome
paper or panel proposals on the theme of the river. Questions that might
be addressed are: how have the Thames - and indeed all London's rivers -
been represented in literature from the middle ages to the present day?
How has the river figured in writing that shows London as a centre of
commerce, empire and the slave trade? How has the river been presented as
an area of natural beauty in an urban setting - or as a polluted sewer
corroding the heart of the city? We welcome papers viewing the river from
North or South, from Sunbury to Southend, and considering its role in
literature from Spencer to Sinclair.

>Abstracts of 200 words for 20-minute papers by 28th February 2006 to:
[log in to unmask] or the postal address below.

>Proposals for comprised panels of three speakers are also welcome.
>
>Dr Lawrence Phillips (Liverpool Hope) and Dr Brycchan Carey (Kingston
University),