THEDRUM Archives

November 2005

THEDRUM@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
RODNEY COATES <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
RODNEY COATES <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 2005 08:56:18 -0500
Ms. Watkins..I am glad that you have pursued your dreams, its wonderful
to see you all grown up. Now you can start looking for that Knight on a
white horse, or a BMW..much respect..rodney coates

>>> "Watkins, Janine L" <[log in to unmask]> 11/28/2005 3:15:39 PM

Good Afternoon Dr. Coates ~

I realize you have many former students, and I do not expect you to
remember me :o)  I wanted to take a moment to thank you for your time
and support during my years at Miami. I graduated in 1994 with a B.A. in
Black World Studies, and prior to this had "floundered" for 2 years,
unsure what I wanted to do.  When I came to you to discuss changing
majors, you told me something that has stuck throughout the years.  You
looked me in the eye and said, "No knight in shining armor will come and
sweep you up onto his horse and take you away."  It was at that moment
that I realized I needed to make concrete decisions about my life and
formulate goals.  I then had to take steps to make those goals a
reality.  No one in my life had ever been that candid with me; and it
was just what I needed.

Thank you for your "wake-up call,"  your support and the strength you
helped me find.

Respectfully,
Janine Watkins, '94

Have a Pleasant Day!