ZOO408A Archives

May 2006

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Bill Zimmerman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Zimmerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2006 12:19:47 -0400
A quick check of the Cincinnati Birds website list of birds and their
patterns of occurrence suggest we are in the middle of their local
abundance for White-crowned Sparrows, Peterjohn aside.

Nothing unusual at all apparently for our area, at least according to
the local records of the last 25+ years. It seems like they are right
on time.

If you were like me, you would have forgotten which week was the peak
of their abundance (or never knew it). We had a singing bird in our
yard under the feeders for the past two days, a new yard first.

Beyond it being the first one I had seen in the yard, I also wondered
about its migration pattern. A check of the website database and I
found that what I was seeing is what I should expect to see given the
historical record.

Details aside, the song and appearance of that bird has been pure
magic in the morning before work and upon coming home. I hope it
stays a bit late.

Bill Zimmerman
Cincinnati