CLEANACCESS Archives

August 2006

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Michael Grinnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2006 12:50:40 -0400
On Aug 21, 2006, at 11:49 AM, John Truelove wrote:

> When is the next version of CCA 4.0.3 that will support Windows XP
> MCE rules
> coming out ??  general timeframe, this week, next week ???
>
> We need it now.  Students started moving in over the weekend and we
> now have
> 180 out of 2300 users (about 8%) that are running XP MCE edition.
>
> Also, What OS is * ?
> I looked under my online users and I have one users with an * for
> the OS type ?
>
> Thanks
>
> John Truelove
> OIT Network Engineer - CCNP
> Indiana State University

We made the decision to follow Todd's advice (thread Re: ETA on Added
OS Detection on 8/11) to distribute the 4.0.0.1 agent instead of the
4.0.1.0 agent.  The users that already had 4.0.1.0 can still login
fine, and for them, we created some Windows_All rules to replace our
Windows_XP rules that enforce firewall, SP2, autoupdates, etc.  See
below for details.  We chose not to require AV for them currently, as
you can't change the AV rules to work for Windows_All, and the cost/
benefit for creating AV rules manually wasn't worth it.

Michael Grinnell Network Security Administrator The American University