RESCOMP Archives

September 2006

RESCOMP@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Research Computing Support <[log in to unmask]>, David Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2006 10:36:47 -0400
We have now received the permanent license for SAS, so it's probably time to
start talking to users about moving from Unixgen to the cluster.  Our SAS
license is limited to 8 CPUs on the cluster.  I've setup a queue called
"sas" that is limited to 6 running jobs with a max of 1 CPU each.  The other
two licenses are for the head node.  The queue is set with a default of 1
hour of wall time and a max of 10 hours - I don't know if this needs to be
higher, but it is easy to change.

We still have the issue with file locks, but I have added the "-filelocks
none" option to the default configuration file, so users shouldn't need to
specify it.  Once the Ibrix patch is applied I'll change the config file.

I just checked the log on Unixgen, and the people who have used SAS since
April are:  isaacsad, zappiabj, magurnba, and leonardc.  This is a small
enough group that we can probably work with them individually to make sure
they have the needed software (putty/openSSH and xming) and also to help
them move files to the cluster.

Jon - if you have been working with these users, it probably makes sense for
you to talk to them about this, otherwise, I can talk to them.

Dave