ZOO408A Archives

October 2006

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2006 15:43:38 -0400
I found Tom's "mystery sparrow" yesterday interesting because we normally
see adult male INBU's as very brightly colored individuals in OH (see
below). The second year birds (first breeding season) commonly have little
to a lot of brown mixed in the blue (see below). However, most of these
"blue" birds leave in fall prior to molting into their basic plumage,
consequently Tom "sparrow" really stands out as unusual around here. We
also banded a male INBU last Sunday (along with the hatch year female
grosbeak and INBU) and it was the first male INBU we had banded in full
basic plumage (see below). It had a single blue undertail covert.(see below)
We'll be back out at Shakertrace banding this Sunday--we have a huge number
of birds moving today, so I'm very excited about our possibilities this
weekend!!
Cheers
Dave