OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2006

Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 17:14:20 EDT
Today I checked out the Old Sunbury Road and Hoover Meadows sections of the
Hoover Nature Preserve. Linda and I began with Old Sunbury Road where we were
greeted by Golden-crowned and Ruby-crowned Kinglets. Both were present in
impressive numbers all along the old road. We also located Brown Creepers, many
Yellow-rumped Warblers, 3 Palm Warblers and several Winter Wrens. We checked
out  the pine grove and located 2 Barred Owls and more kinglets. Further along
near  Pelican Island there was still some mudflat exposed and we found 2
Long-billed  Dowitchers, the only shorebirds for the day. In the cove near Pelican
Island  there were many Horned Grebes and a few Pied-billed Grebes, 2 Lesser
Scaup, 2  Ring-necked Ducks, 6 Red-breasted Mergansers and 9 Wood Ducks.

Hoover Meadows proved to be the place for sparrows as we located 7  different
species. We also found a large group of Dark-eyed Juncos, a sign the  season
is changing. In the brushy edge areas we located more Winter Wrens, an
Eastern Towhee and a late migrating Wilson’s Warbler.

Our list for these two areas included:
Pied-billed  Grebe    (7)
Horned  Grebe    (17)
Double-crested  Cormorant    (32)