OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2006

Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 2006 11:27:46 -0400
   You might be a red-neck if you get up saturday morning at 7:00 when
its windy and cold and rainy and drive for 45 min. to see some birds in
the Clearfork Resevoir. Those birds were Red-necks as well, I saw all
three RED-NECKED GREBES, but not together, 1 was going solo while 2
hung around each other. These are the ones at Clearfork Resevoir that
were reported before. They were fairly close and when I first arrived
the rain hadn't started yet and I got good views of them thru the scope
as they dove and caught fish and did other grebe like things. Also
there were 5 Common Loons, 3 Pied-billed Grebes, 15 Ruddy Ducks, 1
Mallard Drake (and one decoy Mallard drake near the spillway) and about
20 D.c. Cormorants. Also there were some Ring-billed, Herring, and
Bonaparte's Gulls. This was all viewed from the gravel pull off you get
to by taking 97 thru Lexington, turning right on Gass Road, and then
making a left at the Stop sign.
       When I pulled back in my drive a bunch of Robins were scattering
this way and that and then I saw the flash of an almost totally white
bird, except for a couple dark tail-feathers on either side of the
central ones, for a nice balanced effect. I quickly parked and grabed
my bino's to confirm what I suspected was a leucistic Robin. Sure
enough this guy had a tiny hint of red on the upper breast and a nice
Yellow bill and Robin head/overall structure. He was stunning, with his
Dark eyes, and except for those little patches of color he was almost
entirely white. I alerted the other people in the house and grabbed my
camera to take some photo's, I got some -not the greatest in the world
but hey- and me and the fam watched the bird as he flew out into the
yard and then into our crab-apple tree with his fellow Robin friends.
Pretty cool and the first bird I've gotten to see like it. I'll Post my
photo's on Buckeye Birder's webpage in its own file under the photo's
link (if you aren't a member of the Young Birders Yahoo webpage, I
guess you could join) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/buckeyebirders/

      Fun times.
Ben Warner