OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2006

From:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Oct 2006 18:17:09 -0400
Hi Everyone,

Beth and I spent a couple of hours in Forest Hill Park‹in Cleveland Hts and
east Cleveland‹this morning. It was a beautiful Cleveland autumn day, but
with intermittent high winds.

The park was filled with both species of kinglets. In the end, I have to
acknowledge that while the kinglets in our yard may like the native plants
we¹ve put in, for a week this town has been just dripping both kinglets
wherever there are trees or shrubs. The park was filled with them; we heard
them everywhere and had many good looks at both. The oddest thing was that
we found a Golden-crowned that had apparently gotten caught by some burrs on
an unidentified plant‹the feathers on the under parts were all tangled up
with a few burrs‹and died (starved?).

Here¹s what we had in the park, in no order:

Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Dark-eyed Junco ‹ 20 or more
Song Sparrow‹lots of them; probably more than a dozen in three or four
groups
Hermit Thrush‹3 or 4
Blue Jay‹several heard, 2 seen
Downy Woodpecker‹2
Red-bellied Woodpecker‹1 female, that we watched as she arrived at a tree
with a nut in her mouth, went right to a little hole (apparently a spot she
knew), propped the nut in there and worked it until she could eat it.
Pileated Woodpecker‹1
Eastern Phoebe‹3
American Robin‹1
Rock Pigeon‹1 (!)
Great Blue Heron‹1
Canada Goose‹50-60
Mallard‹1 (with the geese)
Brown Creeper‹1

the afternoon we had about half a dozen over our house.

Best wishes,

Steve Cagan
Cleveland Hts

-----