OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2006

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Oct 2006 19:55:04 -0500
We had winds near 60 mph yesterday afternoon and were without power till
about 12:30 at night.  Needless to say I was unable to post this yesterday.

This was my first waterbird survey of the year.  My weekends have been
pretty busy so this was my first opportunity.  There were a lot of gulls
moving.  Duck numbers were down.  They may have been hesitant about flying
in the high winds and rain.  Best birds were surf and black scoters.  All
were flying with red-breasted mergansers.

Location- Lakeshore Reservation, North Perry, Lake County
Date- October 28, 2006, Time- 7:30-10:00
Weather- Cloudy with rain, Winds- NNW 15-25
Temperature- 45-44 F, Barometer- 29.34-29.39
Humidity- 88-84, Dew point- 42-40
Waves- 5-7 ft, Flight direction- west

Green-winged teal   46
Canvasback   5