OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2006

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Oct 2006 20:10:52 -0500
I birded the Ashtabula County lakefront today (10/29).  Things were kind of
slow.  Although I had a couple of good birds, things were slow with no large
duck or gull concentrations anywhere.  At Conneaut the best bird was a RED
PHALAROPE.  It flew across the open harbor, circled once by the flats, and
then headed west.  The mudflats were not accessible due to high water levels
when I was there.  There were a couple hundred gulls with ring-billed gulls
being the most common.  There was a fly-by 1st year LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL
also.  There were very few gulls and nearly all were mallards.  At Ashtabula
Lakeshore park there was a single surf scoter.  Again the only waterfowl
around were Canada geese and mallards.  The only gulls were ring-billed and
herrings.  There was nothing of note at Walnut Beach.  I also saw nothing of
note at Geneva State Park.

A quick note about yesterday (10/28).  I stopped briefly at Fairport Harbor.
there were quite a few Bonaparte's gulls in the harbor.  I spotted one adult
LITTLE GULL..  Perhaps it was the one I saw heading east today.  There was a
heavy rain and strong wind at Fairport when I was there.  I saw some distant
ducks, but they were just too far out.

John Pogacnik
4765 Lockwood Road
Perry, OH 44081