OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2006

Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 13:57:51 -0500
  Well me and Dan Sanders went looking for some birds today. We were
trying for the White-winged Scoter at Caesar Creek State Park, we
stopped several places where it had been seen and we struck out. Not
many gulls on the beach either. Oh well, we still got to see some cool
birds there;

Redhead - 20
Ringneck Duck- 10+
Scaup (lesser? too far out) - 10+
Horned Grebe - 15+ including one right in front of us really close
Common Loon - 3
Cormorant, D.C
Blue Jay
N. Mockingbird
E. Towhee
Junco Darkeyed
Cedar Waxwing
Cardinal
Am Robin
Goldfinch
Carolina Wren - 5
Bonaparte's Gull - 2
Ringbilled Gull - 20ish
Canada Geese

  We then headed out to check real quick if we could see the reported
Rufous Hummer at Cheri M.'s place, near Dayton. Thanks Cheri for
letting us come, and I must say you have a regular bird haven around
your house there. We also enjoyed seing the local Albino Squirrel (gray
squirrel). Anyways we walked up and were trying to decide where would
be the best place to stand and in swooped the hummer to the butterfly
bush where it hovered a couple seconds. I could easily see the buffy
sides/flanks from 10 feet away or so and then it zoomed off. So we set
at the picnic table and waited for a while. Finally it zoomed in and
landed on another butterfly bush in the corner of the yard where I had
a good look thru the bino's. It was kinda facing me and I'd definately
say it looked like a female Rufous, with a few colored feathers on the
gorget, green crown area and on down the back , plus the distinctly
buffy sides and even the belly was pretty buffy. But then it zoomed
away again not to be seen again as we waited for another 20 min. Oh
well I had to get to class.
  Now after class as I sit here on CSCC's campus in this lovely weather
underneath some sycamore trees I am surrounded by White-throated
Sparrows , 1 song Sparrow, and Cardinals all pecking and scratching
around under the Yew hedges. Can't imagine a better setting to post
from.
    Enjoy,
- Ben Warner