OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2006

[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 16 Oct 2006 19:25:22 -0400391_US-ASCII I made a quick visit to the Deer Creek Reservoir this afternoon. Unfortunately it turned out to be a crappy day with rain or drizzle the whole time I was there, so birding was limited. The water level is finally being let down there, and mudflats are beginning to appear at the north end near Pancoastburg. Some of the birds seen at the few vantage points I checked included : [...]40_16Oct200619:25:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 14:59:19 EST
This morning, about 10:00 AM, I observed an American White Pelican  (probably
the one seen yesterday by Michele Hendrick) flying east across Rt  269 at the
Rt 2 exit near Bayview.  It landed in the large pond northeast  of that
interchange.

When I returned about 3:00, I had time to take a better look at the  area.
The pelican was still there resting near 4 or 5 mute swans, offering  an
interesting comparison.  Also present were at least  six Forster's Terns, a
Boneparte's Gull, Mallard, Gadwall, Green-winged  Teal, American Widgeon, Hooded
Merganser, and Pintail.

The main impoundment of Medusa Marsh held American Coot  and Pied-billed
Grebe.  The channel just to the east of the  impoundment had six Ruddy Ducks.  I
had just seen another small group of  rudddies on the other side of Sandusky
Bay, between Johnson's Island and Bay  Point, and had seen a Northern Harrier
there as well.

Speaking of pelicans, here is a link to an English video of a captive  white
pelican (not sure of the species) catching (and later eating) a  pigeon!
_http://us.video.aol.com/video.index.adp?mode=2&pmmsid=1751356_
(http://us.video.aol.com/video.index.adp?mode=2&pmmsid=1751356)

Sheryl Young
Sandusky