OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2006

From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 16 Oct 2006 19:25:22 -0400391_US-ASCII I made a quick visit to the Deer Creek Reservoir this afternoon. Unfortunately it turned out to be a crappy day with rain or drizzle the whole time I was there, so birding was limited. The water level is finally being let down there, and mudflats are beginning to appear at the north end near Pancoastburg. Some of the birds seen at the few vantage points I checked included : [...]40_16Oct200619:25:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 17:43:21 -0500
I probably should have posted this yesterday, but only thought to do so now, since I'm seeing such low gull totals from other reservoirs. The gull action in central Ohio is definitely at Deer Creek this year.  Yesterday afternoon I went there and tried to scope through the massive numbers, but it was too windy to really pick much out.  My rough estimated guess for gulls there yesterday (Oct. 29) was ~1200 Bonaparte's,  ~1000 Ring-billeds, and ~10 Herrings.  The Laughing Gull is probably still there, but it was too windy to pick out. There were also probably ~1500 Am. Coots in 4 large rafts on the reservoir. Noteworthy lingering birds seen at Deer Creek yesterday included 1 Barn Swallow, and 1 Indigo Bunting.

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com