OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2006

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 15:37:02 -0800
I was at Sims Park on Lake Erie this afternoon from 4
to 5pm.  Was 68-70F, S winds 12mph or so, sunny.  Lake
was smooth.  Saw the following:

LONG-TAILED DUCK 1 (female) swimming with the scoters
& 4-Scaup females
Black Scoter 1
Surf Scoters 7 (all birds clearly visible NW of the
pier)

--after about 25 mins the Euclid Canada Geese came by
for their daily parade floating west-the Long-tailed
Duck was overtaken by them so she swam east briskly
and then took off low over the water and went ENE.
Got some low quality pictures that show her before she
started moving fast.

Then much further to the east in front of the
high-rise apt bldgs not clearly visible from pier but
more visible from the high cliff to the east end of
park were:

Bufflehead - approx 7 (3M-4F)
Scaup Species - approx 12
Red-breasted Mergansers - 10-12