OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2006

From:
Jay Lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 16 Oct 2006 15:27:14 EDT629_US-ASCII Today I followed-up with the trash clean-up project from Saturday at Hoover
Reservoir. I went back into Areas M & N which weren't covered Saturday. I got
to combine birding with the clean-up. Shorebirds were somewhat slow this
afternoon. On the mudflats and sand spits between Area N and the boardwalk at
Area M there were 9 Greater Yellowlegs, 10 Dunlin, 3 Semipalmated Plovers and
many Killdeer but nothing else. There were several Common Terns skirting about,
23 Great Blue Herons clustered about, Double-crested Cormorants on a far
sand spit and an adult Bald Eagle perched off Wiese Road. [...]42_16Oct200615:27:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 18:48:39 -0500
I arrived at Clear Creek reservoir at about 1:00 pm, and went to the
northeast corner as intstructed on previous postings to Ohio Birds.  From
that corner, by scanning with a  telescope through the rather poor
lighting conditions, I was able to locate the three Red-necked Grebes. Two
ladies from Marion showed up, and I recommended that we try to find a
place to view the reservoir from the other side (south?).  So, we went to
the other side and walked into the area where there is a yatch club,
closed for the season.  The light was much better from that side with the
sun at our backs.  Not sure if we found all three Red-necked Grebes again,
but we got to see them quite well from a distance.  Red-necked Grebe was a
life bird for sure for one of the ladies, maybe also the second.
CONGRATULATIONS again, if you are reading this note.  I left the area at
about 2:00 pm.  There were other waterfowl on the reservoir.

Common Loon 1
Horned Grebe 4 (1 diving and the others resting with heads tucked in the
south east corner)
Pied-billed Grebe 15
Double-crested Cormorant 2
Ruddy Duck  about 50
Lesser Scaup 1
Bufflehead 2, drakes.

I continued north to Headland Beach SP, but the wind was too strong to
make a good try for the Purple Sandpiper (PUSA).  I scanned the jetty to
the light house from part way out the jetty right next to where the beach
ends, but didn't see the PUSA.  The wind was howling and spray was
splashing over the jetty.  There were lots of gulls in the harbor inside
the jetties.  Many Bonaparte's but it was getting too dark to scan.
Jay

Jay G. Lehman
Cincinnati, OH