OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2006

Date:
Sat, 14 Oct 2006 19:45:53 EDT
Well the only thing I had tested today was my patience. The Columbus
Watershed Division held their annual clean-up day at Hoover Reservoir. First,  thanks
to all the individuals that came out to help with the clean-up. The  clean-up
would be impossible without these great volunteers. What tests my  patience
is the irresponsible people that throw beer cans and bottles, food  wrappers
and other trash in the nature preserve and the shores of Hoover  Reservoir.
During the year while monitoring my prothonotary warbler nest box  trail I always
carry trash bags as there are people who throw trash  out as fast as I can
pick it up. Trash clashes with my prothonotaries. Enough of  the soap box.

I cleaned the area around Wiese Road this morning. As usual, being a  birder,
my attention wanders from picking up trash as birds move about near me.  Land
birds are declining in variety but still provide an interesting mix. At
Wiese Road I observed many Golden-crowned and Ruby-crowned Kinglets. They seemed
to be everywhere. There were also many White-throated Sparrows and a few
White-crowned Sparrows all along the roadway. There were about 5 Carolina Wrens
and 2 Winter Wrens in the edge brush. Yellow-rumped Warblers were in good
numbers, but the only other warbler I saw was a Wilson's. There were 3 Brown
Creepers present. No sign of any thrushes as the habitat is not too good for
them. The adult Bald Eagle was perched in the second stand of dead trees along
the shore. There was a lone Gray Catbird and a lone Blue-headed Vireo. There
were no other land species worth listing.

Waterfowl consisted of 5 Green-winged Teal, Mallards and Canada Geese. Of
course the Double-crested Cormorants were on the snags.

Shorebirds were slightly more interesting. The mudflats at Wiese Road are
growing rapidly, although late in the migration period. Shorebird species I
identified this morning included many Killdeer, 11 Greater Yellowlegs, 5 Lesser
Yellowlegs, 1 each of Stilt, Solitary, Western and White-rumped Sandpipers, 13
 Dunlin, 1 Long-billed Dowitcher and an estimated 20 Semipalmated Sandpipers.
 These seemed edgy and didn't sit still to be properly counted. I could see
that  there were more shorebirds near the boardwalk and later at Dustin Road,
but I  didn't cover these areas as I needed to tend to picking up the trash
left behind  by others.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve
Delorme 58 C (2) & (3)