OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2006

Date:
Sat, 14 Oct 2006 21:09:31 -0400
  I had the pleasure of joining up w/ Rob Thorn, and a group from
Columbus Audubon  as we went a birding. We actually started out at Alum
Creek Res. but it was pretty windy and We saw similar land
bird/passerines there that we saw over at Hoover, the only exception
being a Sharp-shinned Hawk a couple of us saw fly over.
     Anywho, we had forgotten today was clean up day at Hoover, but
thanks to everyone who did join in on that, whenever I'm out there as
Charlie said, I see tons of trash and I try and pick up what I can
(sloppy fishermen and boaters). So we hit Oxbow first;
Birds seen from Oxbow "island"

Yellow Rumped Warblers - seen all over
Black-throated Green Warbler - 1 Good job Rob, hearing before seeing
and then we all got good looks
White-throated Sparrows - good numbers
Flickers, Northern - 3
Downy Woodpeckers
Ruby-crowned Kinglets
D.C. Cormorants
Mallards
Woodducks - 6 equal parts male to female with one male that looked
un-molted  a juvenlie?
Kinglets
House finch
E. Phoebe
Am Robin
Cedar Waxwing - a large flock
Bald Eagle - we saw two accross the water from us on the opposite bank
Tree Swallows - lots out on the water
Kingfisher,belted - 2
etc.

Boardwalk = wasn't as windy as last night thank goodness, allowed good
views of the shorebirds (I didn't count very well tho, conservative
estimates follow)

Dunlin - 8+
Long-billed Dowitcher - 4+
Stilt Sandpiper - 6
Greater Yellowlegs - several
Lesser Yellowlegs - 10+
Semipalm. Sandpiper - 2+
Least Sandpiper - 2 maybe more
Pectoral Sandpipers - 8+
Semipalmated PLOVers - 3 or so
Killdeer - 10 or so
GBH - plenty to go around
Bonaparte's Gull - 2
Ringbilled Gulls
N. Shoveler - 4 or so
Muscovy duck - 1 odd duck

THE HOOVER MEADOWS - We got there and as soon as I pulled in I heard
the jays raising a ruckus, apparently mobbing someting in the pines, So
I dashed out in pursuit, I found where they had a dense pine fall
surrounded and then I saw a large-ish owl fly up from the trees and
accross the road, unfortunately all I could tell was that it was an
Owl, my impression was Barred Owl but am unsure. We searched the trees
but couldn't find any owls, and again I searced at the end. There was
plenty of sparrows to be seen here, but alas, I searched and called in
vain for any ammodramus rarities, still a decent sparrow list;

Golden-crowned Kinglet - lots
Ruby-crowned King - less but still plenty
Am Goldfinches
Eastern Bluebirds - saw about 6 or more foraging for berries and such
Yellow-rumps
N. Cardinals
C. Chickadees
Tufted Titmice
House Wren - also saw one over at Oxbow
Carolina Wren - 3
Winter Wren - 1 really close up veiw of the cute little dude in the
thicket
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy
N. Flicker
E. Towhee - a nice male and a glimpse of a female
Junco - 1 juvenile
White - crowned sparrow - most haning out by the feeders in the
backyard near the entrance
White-throated Sparrow - all over
Song Sparrow - good numbers 10+
Swamp Sparrow - saw quite a few, at least 10+
Lincoln's Sparrow - 5 or so, very pretty
Field Sparrow - plenty of these around as well 10+
Chipping Sparrow - a good sized flock, plus several loaners
(and house sparrows)
INDIGO BUNTING - a surprise find at the end (p.s. it wasn't very blue
;-) )
Grey Catbird - 1
N. Mockingbird - 1 or maybe two
Mallard - 1
GBH - a couple
Red-tailed Hawk - 2
Cooper's Hawk - 1
Turkey Vulture - several

     Well I'm probably leaving some stuff out but oh well. I wore my
MIAMI REDHAWKS (what is a redhawk ;-) ? )  t- shirt in solidarity or
whatever w/ our new list sponsor (of course no one really knew since I
was layered over it so heavy) but I knew. haha. This is not a test,
this is for real tho'.
    Bird on,
Ben Warner