OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2006

Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2006 19:17:40 -0400
With the House Wrens & Tree Swallows moved on and no Eastern Bluebirds
around this year, I have wondered who, over the past couple of weeks,
has left the downy feathers stuck on the rough-edged opening of this
year's new bluebird box.

A little while ago on the regular evening stroll around the pond with my
dog, something appeared odd about that opening in the rapidly
diminishing daylight.  Without binocs and about 3 feet away, I finally
made out the stock-still head of a Downy Woodpecker as it peered out at
me from its claimed roost.  Guess they really were Downy feathers!

This is the same box on which a Sweetheart Underwing moth was resting on
September 24, its tree bark camouflage failing against the blonde wood.

Kathy Mock
Norton, OH
Summit Co.

"Nothing wholly admirable ever happens in this country except the
migration of birds." - Brooks Atkinson