OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2006

Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2006 01:13:44 -0400
Got home from class today and took the dogs on a walk on the trails
that we mow around our 40 acres here. I was curious where the
White-throated sparrows were hiding since I'd heard them from the house
singing a little, but they haven't showed at the feeders yet. Our
property lies along route 655 north west of Sunbury Oh, and is in
Delaware County but near Morrow co.
      Turns out they are just having too much fun on the land back there
to need to come in, there is plenty to forage back there in their
prefered brushy/brambly habitat of which our early succesional fiels
have plenty of patches. I was also surpised to find a lot of Swamp
Sparrows back there as well near a small ditch sized stream that
doesn't flow that often, but stays wet. Pretty little guys they are.
Other sparrows were present in good numbers. Aside from the usual
woodpeckers and other birds that I see at the feeder, highlights were:

Swamp Sparrow - 9
Song Sparrow - 6
White-throated Sparrow - 50 or so probably more
White-Crowned Sparrow - 2 seen
Field Sparrow -5
Chipping Sparrow - 2
Junco = 7+ (finally saw these guys back at feeder yesterday and today)
E. Towhee - 1 male
Ruby Crowned Kinglet - 6
Golden Crowned Kinglet  - 1 seen others heard
yellow-rumped Warbler - 5
Gray Catbird - 3
Turkey Vulture - 2
Canada Goose - 3 fly over
Wood Duck - 1 on the stream
Mallard - 1 on the stream
Barred Owl - 1 being mobbed by pesky Blue Jays
Wild Turkey - 1 female
Cedar Waxwing - small flock of about 10
American Robin - lots all about our mowed lawns by the house with some
starlings too (grr)
           So it was a nice walk, and I've never seen Swamp SParrows on
our land before so that was cool. Hope everyone has some fun birding
soon!
    - Ben Warner
      Sunbury, OH