OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2006

From:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2006 18:28:37 -0400
Hi Everyone,

Thereıs a flock of pigeons (you know, pigeons‹Columba livia), maybe 50
birds, that lives on the south side of Mayfield Road, just west of Coventry,
in Cleveland Hts. Theyıre fed by some residents of the area, natch.

I was in the area today, and saw the flock of pigeons flying in that typical
Rock Pigeon way, big circles by the entire flock, when I realized that one
of the birds was not a pigeon, but a Cooperıs Hawk. It was flying at the
edge of the flock, following around with them. T first I thought it was
going to pick a bird to chase, but the pigeons didnıt seem very panicky, and
the hawk just circled around a few times, then left the flock and flew
lazily off towards the cemeteries.

I guess the pigeons were just a little too big for this raptor...

Best wishes,

Steve Cagan,
Cleveland Hts, Cuyahoga County

-----