OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2006

Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2006 19:12:10 EDT
Hello!

Last evening between 5-7:30 PM and today between 12:30-3:30 PM, I  birded the
pet trail at Highbanks which is located just north of  Columbus.  While I did
not see or hear anything rare, there were good  numbers of some species,
especially last evening when at times I was overwhelmed  by the various birds that
were flitting and flying about.  The following is  a list of the birds seen
and/or heard last evening and today,  respectively:

White Throated Sparrow-100+ and ~40-50 (with  several singing)
Swamp Sparrow-9 and 0
Field Sparrow-7 each day (numbers way down compared  to 1 week ago)
Song Sparrow-7 and 2
Dark-Eyed Junco-4 and 0
Nashville Warbler-1 in the Goldenrod today
Orange-Crowned Warbler-possible 1 in the Goldenrod today,  flew off before I
got good enough look to definitively ID, first impression was  OCWA
Yellow-Rumped Warbler-~75 and ~60
Eastern Phoebe-1 in big loop Fri, 2 fly catching at pond  today
Belted Kingfisher-female Fri and male Sat at pond
Eastern Bluebird-1 male both days
Hermit Thrush-3 and 2 (1 today hovering in mid-air picking  off wild grapes
from vine)
Winter Wren-2 and 0
Carolina Wren-5 and 2
Golden-Crowned Kinglet-1 and 0
Ruby-Crowned Kinglet-0 and 8
Catbird-0 and 2
Cooper's Hawk-1 Fri strafing birds at the pond
Barred Owl-2 last evening (1 carrying off young opossum  and second nearby in
woods loop, pretty cool)
Cedar Waxwing-~12 and ~16
Red-Tailed Hawk-0 and 1
Eastern Towhee-4 each day
Turkey Vulture-0 and 2
Northern Flicker-9 and 7
Pied-Billed Grebe-0 and 1
Common Grackle-21 and 0
Red-Winged Blackbird-~10 and 0
American Crow-2 and 1
Cardinals, Titmice, Chickadees, Downies, Red-Bellieds, Hairy (1),  Blue Jays,
Robins, White-Breasted Nuthatches, Goldfinches, Mallards, and  Starlings

The most productive areas the past few weeks consistently have  been along
the first wooded stretch just past the water fountain, the tree  line along the
biggest loop, the short loop through the woods, and the back loop  of the
trail.  I have yet to see a Fox Sparrow this year which in years  past I would
have seen by now.  Also, a Red-Breasted Nuthatch was reported  by a naturalist
about 2 weeks ago outside the Nature Center window.

Many thanks to Doc Jordan, naturalist at Highbanks, who came out with  me
today for a bit to help me identify Smartweed.  Patches of  Smartweed are located
along some small areas of the trail (but no  Ammodramus sparrows).

Directions to Highbanks can be found at _www.metroparks.net_
(http://www.metroparks.net) .

Rob Lowry
Powell, Ohio