OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2006

From:
Philip Chaon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Philip Chaon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2006 19:47:43 -0700
Hi all,

Yesterday the Ohio Young Birders Club had their monthly field trip.
This month we visited Lake Erie Metropark and Point Moullie, it was overall a nice trip. Not a spectacular day of hawk watching due to rain,cold, and South West winds but it was good to just be able to attend a hawk watch.

From around 9:30 am until 12:30 pm at Lake Erie Metropark we had:

Sharp-shinned Hawk- Around 40 or so that we saw, the counters had alot more.
Coopers Hawk-3
Northern Harrier-1
Red-tailed Hawk- 2
Red-shouldered Hawk-1
American Kestrel-1
Tree Swallow- 150??
American Pipit- well over 100, probably closer to 200.
Mute Swan-15
Blackpoll Warbler-1
Ruby-crowned/Golden crowned Kinglets- lots
Hermit Thrush-5?
Eastern Pheobe-1
Black-throated Green Warbler-1

After lunch we headed to Point Moullie where duck hunting was in full swing. As we got there some of the hunters were bringing in what they had got for the day. They were very nice and let us take a closer look at the Pintails and Mallards they had brought back. While there we saw:

Dunlin- 4
Pied-billed Grebe- 30+
Horned Grebe- 3?
Canada Goose- 10
Mute Swan-35
Green-winged Teal-8
Mallard- 16
Redhead-20
Ruddy Duck-3
American Coot-15
Caspian Tern-7
Foresters Tern-18
Bonapartes Gull-10
Ring-billed Gull-30
Herring Gull-5
Common Tern-1

After the field trip ended, Paula Lozano and I made a quick stop at the Medusa Marsh area on our way back to Cleveland. There were lots of ducks present.

Canada Goose-40
Mallard- 60?
Ruddy Duck-2
Wood Duck-8
American Widgeon-5
Green-winged Teal-30
Blue-winged Teal- 3
Gadwall-8

There is probably alot more that we missed or I forgot to mention, seems worthwhile to look here for ducks more often.

Good birding,

Phil Chaon