OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2006

From:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 18:02:36 -0400
Hi everyone,

I just had a phone call from another birder who lives down the block from
us. ³Steve, do you know that you have Golden-crowned Kinglets in your front
yard?² ³Donıt you mean Ruby-crowned? Iıve seen them² ³No, I think there are
Golden-crowned there‹go check!²

Since the cold weather came in Sunday night, we have had an influx of
Dark-eyed Juncos around the house‹weıve been seeing juncos in the parks for
weeks, but these are the first ones in the yard‹will they be the typical
winter residents?

But weıve also had a flock of both ruby-crowned and Golden-crowned Kinglets.
I assume theyıll leave when the weather changes, but weıve had them here for
three days now‹this is the first time any of us birders on the block have
seen kinglets right here, and itıs pretty exciting (normally we see them in
the parks around here, but not our yards)! My question is, Does this mean
that all the native plantings weıve been doing over the last few years are
paying off? Itıs certainly the case that the kinglets are hanging out in
native shrubs and seed-bearing flowers...

Best wishes,

Steve Cagan
Cleveland Hts

-----