OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2006

From:
Leslie Basalla <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leslie Basalla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 18:43:16 -0400
I walked from the W. 65th Street tunnel down to Whiskey Island today,
roughly 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. Weather started out cold, but partly sunny and
became progressively colder and more overcast, but I had a handful of good
sightings.

Dark-eyed Junco:  About six near the top of the tunnel and maybe a dozen
more at Wendy Park
Downy Woodpecker: One hammering away at a dead, thick-stemmed weed on the
bluff just north of the tunnel. As the plant shook, it sounded like a pair
of maracas. The bird must have liked what it was finding, because it was
still there when I returned fully two hours later.
Ruby-Crowned Kinglet: 4
Golden-Crowned Kinglet: 6, including two females that foraged through the
grass in Wendy Park, literally within two feet of where I was standing for
about five minutes. More heard calling.
American Kestrel: 2
Hermit Thrush: 2, one was, sadly, impaled by the throat on the barbed wire
fence separating Whiskey Island from the train tracks (could this the the
work of a Northern Shrike?)
Eastern Phoebe: 1
Song Sparrow: several
White-Throated Sparrow: Bunches, but they never sat still/let me get close
enough to count
American Coot: 5 swimming in the Whiskey Island marina
Winter Wren: 1

I wanted to continue back to Edgewater and see what was hanging out there,
but I was half-frozen, and it was getting dark.

-Leslie Basalla
Detroit-Shoreway neighborhood, Cleveland