OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2006

Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 20:22:45 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Leslie Basalla" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 6:43 PM
Subject: [Ohio-birds] (Ohio Birds) Edgewater to Whiskey Island/Wendy
Park highlights

> Hermit Thrush: 2, one was, sadly, impaled by the throat on the barbed
> wire
> fence separating Whiskey Island from the train tracks (could this the
> the
> work of a Northern Shrike?)

Good question Leslie. I have a somewhat grizly photo posted of a song
sparrow that met a similar fate on the Dike 14 fence a few autumns ago:
http://www.pbase.com/ccr1/image/34689796

This evening while cooking up a pot of homemade mushroom soup, I glanced
out the window and saw some leaves flipping around on the grass.
Figuring it was just a white-throat, I decided to check it out anyway,
since my binocs were handy. It was late dusk and about all I could make
out initially was a brown, thrush-size bird with spots on it's white
breast. Hermits have been very regular here for the past couple weeks,
but the shape didn't seem right; the breast was too light, and when it
moved, it walked rather than hopped. Just then the soup decides it is
time to boil over. Needing to attend to my cullinary emergency, by the
time I returned to the window, the bird was gone. A few impatient
minutes and silent cuss words later, I refound it.  Sure enough, a very
forlorn looking ovenbird was wandering aimlessly around the yard
gleaning insects from the low-hanging winterberry branches.
Trust your instincts.

Craig Rieker
Parma Ohio