OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

From:
Jay Lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2006 08:24:38 -0500
Best birds in this report are EARED GREBE at Hoover, TUNDRA SWAN at Hardin
Co. Wetland, and RED-NECKED GREBE and WESTERN GREBE at Furgeson Reservoir.
 I started Sunday 11/12/06, in the dreary cold misty weather at Hoover
Reservoir at the boardwalk at Area M looking for the Eared Grebe first
found by Ben Warner.  I found the Eared Grebe soon after my arrival
relatively close to the boardwalk, before the boardwalk takes a turn to
the north.  The Eared Grebe was mixed in with 15 Horned Grebes for
excellent comparison.  It was close enough for digiscoping so I did. Also,
in the area was a flock of about 40 Bonaparte's Gulls hanging around the
grebes looking for an easy meal to steal.  I found one Common Loon,
several Pied-billed Grebes and a flock of 10 Hooded Mergansers.  Lots of
Am. Coot.

I continued northwest to Hardin County Wetland, looking for the Tundra
Swans, reported by Richard Counts.  As I was preparing for my hike to the
SE corner of the wetland, Ben Warner came by in a van with other birders
including Jack Stenger from Cincinnati.  I didn't know him then but
learned who he was from an e:mail message.  I found the five Tundra Swans
(2 ad., 3 im.).  Didn't stay very long but did see 1 Greater Yellowlegs,
first ID'd by call, and then saw it flying by.  Also, a flock of +30
Lapland Longspurs.  Lots of Am. Coot and a number of Ruddy Ducks there.

I continued west to Lima to visit the reservoirs.  I checked Lost Creek
Reservoir, arriving there at about 2:00 pm and checked out the gulls but
did not find the Lesser Black-backed Gull reported there on Friday by John
Kuenzli.  Found 17 Hooded Mergansers, at least 2 Gadwall, several
Pied-billed Grebes and several Ruddy Ducks and lots of coots.  There was a
mixed flock of Bonaparte's, Ring-billed with a few Herring Gulls, loafing
on Lost Creek.  Then I continued to Metzger and Furgeson Reservoirs
arriving there at about 2:30 pm.  Metzger has several hundred Ruddy Ducks
and somewhat fewer American Coots.  I also fund 2 Bufflehead on Metzger.
There were five Common Loons and 9 Red-breasted Mergansers.  Also a flock
of 30 Snow Buntings on the road/walkway between Furgeson and Metzger.  The
highlight for this location is a mixed flock of grebes on Furgeson in the
most southern part away from Reservoir Road in the part of Furgeson that
bends around Metzger to the south.  This flock included 5 Horned Grebes, 1
im. RED-NECKED GREBE and 1 WESTERN GREBE.  I have several long-distance
digiscoped shots of all 7 birds with their heads up.  The Red-necked Grebe
was larger than the Horned Grebes with a relatively thick and long bill
and with a relatively thick neck, dusky/dark colored neck.  The Western
Grebe was boldly white on the throat, front of neck, face and breast,
boldly darker on the crown, back of neck and back and was longer necked
and bigger than the Red-necked Grebe.  The bill of the Western Grebe was
long and much thinner than that of the Red-necked Grebe.   I will try to
post a few photos to the internet for those who are interested.  At 60X,
even though the light was getting even dimmer, I was able to see the red
eye enclosed in the dark forward part of the crown.  I left
Furgeson/Metzger Res. at about 4:00 pm

The weather was cold and dreary, but what a day!  Five species of grebes
in one day in Ohio!
Jay

Jay G. Lehman
Cincinnati, OH