OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2006 16:22:16 -0500
   Well it almost didn't happen but I eventually had success along with
Marc Shroeder (? i think) as we both converged this morning on a quest
for the Northern Shrike. Thanks to Marc for coming and finding me again
when he found the bird. We had a false alarm (well I did, anyways) when
a Mockingbird perched about 200 yards out fooled me thru my bino's but
didn't fool me thru the scope, Nope just a Mocker, I declaired after
scoping.
     But Marc had the real thing and we both had a good time marveling
at this awesome creature thru our scopes. We found the bird down the
side road to the right as you're facing the gated beach area, in a
similar spot that Jay Lehman said he saw it. It hopped from tree top to
tree top in the area and I witnessed it hock up a pellet after Marc
left, but I didn't think to go look for it untll now. Oh well. I got
some good digi-scoped photo's considering I was just handholding my
digital.
      Other birds of note that were seen were the White Pellican on the
s. end of the res., The pair of Ring-necked pheasants, Sharp-shinned
Hawk, E. meadowlark, Am. Tree Sparrow, Both Kinglets, Bonaparte's
Gulls, a couple N. Flickers, and the usuals.
     Good times, I hope it sticks around for everyone (and of course I
wish the bird the best of health on its stay too). :-D
        - Ben Warner