OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2006 21:06:33 EST
I'm anticipating skepticism (which I would likewise share), but was hoping
someone in the area could go by for a second look before this bird moves on:

    --At Shreve Lake Wildlife Area, in Wayne County (DeLorme 50, C-2),
3:30-3:50 PM-- a loon was present, actively fishing; had a very obviously
up-turned-appearing bill, no collar/necklace, no obvious remnants of striping on the
neck.  I was able to get several decent digi-scope pictures that demonstrated
most of the field marks I observed and would be happy to e-mail them to anyone
interested; would be thrilled if someone were able to confirm or disprove this
rather surprising sighting.

    The loon was still present when an appointment forced me to leave the
area, begrudgingly, haha.

Also in the area, many hundreds of American Coot and dozens of Ruddy Duck,
not much else, in the Killbuck/Wright Marsh area; did see a single male-female
pair of Redhead at "the fish pond" across 226 from Wright Marsh, and a few
hundred Ring-necked Duck.

Looking forward to hearing feedback,

Scott Hannan
Canton, OH