OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

From:
Tom Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2006 14:15:47 -0500
Banding of Northern Saw-whet Owls continued this past weekend.  It picked up
a little but still not big numbers.  I haven't heard from the other banding
sites so I assume they are not doing well.  On Kelleys we banded 3 on
Thursday, no banding on Friday or Saturday due to weather, and 3 on Sunday
night.  To date I have captured 10 owls on Kelleys.  Nine have been
hatch-year birds and one second-year bird.  9 have been female and one a
male.  Don't know what to make of it.  And don't know where all the owls
which have been banded up north are.  I can't believe they want to stay in
Michigan or Ontario for the winter.

Highlights species were:

81 species observed by my group and/or the Kirtland Bird Club group
This doesn't include a "Mutt" duck which we first called a American Black
Duck.  However, 2 American Black Ducks were found on Monday.

Common Loon                     100+ on Monday
Horned Grebe            100+ on Sunday
Swan species?           2 on Saturday
Wood Duck                       2 on Sunday
Surf Scoter                     3 on Saturday
Long-tailed Duck                1 female on Saturday and Sunday
Merlin                  1 on Saturday by KBC
Sandhill Crane          4 on Monday
Killdeer                        2 on Thursday
Greater Yellowlegs      2 on Saturday
Great Black-backed Gull 5+
Long-eared Owl          1
Blue-headed Vireo               2 on Monday - one bird was singing !!
Tree Swallow            1 on Sunday by KBC
Eastern Bluebird                40+ on Saturday
Gray Catbird            1 on Thursday
American Pipit          common on Friday
Snow Bunting            Friday
Lapland Longspur                Friday
Rusty Blackbird         Saturday
Pine Siskin                     3 on Friday

This will be my last attempt to band owls this weekend.  I will be doing the
regular monthly census on Saturday, November 18 before the OSU/Michigan game
starts.  But then again, who care????  About the game not the census....

Tom Bartlett
Tiffin, Ohio