OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

From:
RICHARD COUNTS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
RICHARD COUNTS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2006 17:11:30 -0500
The highlights this morning at the wetlands were a very cooperative AMERICAN BITTERN and the return of the SHORT EARED OWLS along the Co. line road.
 The bittern was in the northwest corner of the impoundment stalking frogs in the cat tail stand. At times he was no more than 10 feet from me in the open water, paying little attention to me and continuing the hunt. The closest I've ever been to a bittern during my 36 years of birding!
  The short eared owls were seen flying with 6 harriers along the Wyandot-Hardin Co. line road. They weren't there at daybrake so I feel I was present when they migrated into the area.
  A partial list is as follows:

Tundra Swan  5
Wood Duck  1
Gadwall  5