OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

From:
Larry Gara <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Gara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2006 17:59:32 -0500
 Today Rick Asamoto and I decided to bird at Caesar Creek and Buck Creek and we found some nice surprises.  At the Caesar Creek Furnas boat ramp a Red-throated Loon popped up right in front of us only to almost immediately dive. It's second appearance lasted about 30 seconds but it was enough time for Rick to get a picture. Luckily Frank Frick came along to ID the loon from Rick's photo and later find a place where he could get a really good look at the Loon next to a Common Loon.

The second surprise was 17 Sandhill Cranes which flew over the North end of Caesar Creek Lake. They were very high but their "cackle" was clearly heard. We did not see them land. Other than these there was nothing unusual, a few ducks, Horned Grebes an,d Common Loons along with Ring-billed Herring and Bonaparte's Gulls all of which indicate things are starting to move and real winter is not far behind.

Happy Birder Cheers,  Larry Gara