OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2006 18:36:04 -0500
This after noon, 3:30-5:00, I birded around the resevoir w/ Dan
Sanders. We started at Oxbow and if you look out and north from there
the Red-throated Loon is pretty easy to spot w/ a Scope. There were
about 30 other Common Loons out there too and several were quite close
which was fun.
      The ducks we saw there were pretty much what Charlie Bombaci saw,
although I think some moved out onto the open water since it was flat
as a pancake and not very windy. We saw lots of Scaup, Black Duck, N.
Shoveler, Hooded Mergs, etc. Also a number of Horned Grebes, about 30
were out there too, with some Pied-billeds closer in. I couldn't
relocate the Eared Grebe that had been at the boardwalk today, even tho
I checked twice. Over by the bridge you can see from Oxbow (sunbury
road) at the boat ramp there we saw a Spotted Sandpiper, which was
interesting. Other birds seen pretty much mirrored what Charles had.
      On the way to and from I had a couple American Kestrels and 4
Red-tailed Hawks.
Good times as always, and we'll see what we turn up at Lake Erie
tomorrow Morn.
    - Ben Warner
      Sunbury OH. Delaware County.