OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2006 09:26:04 -0800
I was at Sims Park 11/15 and 11/16 and each day there were about 35 to 41 Scoters total with the White-winged Scoter there both days.  I wasn't there  11/17.  Today I was there from about 10:00 to 11:30am.  Today when I arrived I only saw  about 15 Scoters initially (9 Black and five Surf.  But then I found about 19 more Surf Scoters to the east.  When I left they had all moved around.  So here is what I found rough counting:

  Black Scoters -  10-14 (frankly I stopped counting them I was only concerned with Surf and White-winged so others probably could find different amounts
  Surf Scoters  25 or 26
  White-winged Scoter  1 Male (could be more but this one looks different than 11/15 & 11/16.  Some previous White-winged were females.  This has less white on face (just one mark) and more prominent white-wing - very dark bird.  Was chasing or nipping a Horned Grebe giving it trouble.
  Red-breasted Mergansers - must of been over 8,000 - 10,000 flying west around 11am some landing - some kept going.  There were many when I arrived northwest.
  Goldeneye, Bufflehead, Scaup - wasn't counting
  Common Loon, Horned Grebes - few
  Red-tailed Hawk 1 (perched in tree by driveway entire time I was there pointed out to me by Pat Waina)

  On Wednesday, 11/15 I saw  a group of about 38 very black colored nice sized ducks flying west past the park following the shoreline.   I only saw them from the side and rear.  They were not Cormorants or Red-breasted Mergansers.  They must of been Black Scoters.

  Nancy Anderson
  Richmond Hts, OH