OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2006 16:27:20 EST
This morning I helped with a work project at the Hoover Nature Preserve.
While waiting for the others at Hoover Meadows I checked out the pine grove
where I located a barred Owl, Golden-crowned Kinglets, 2 Brown Creepers and a
Red-breasted Nuthatch. Later during the work project we had a Bald Eagle do a
fly-over near the north shore.

This afternoon Jim Fry joined me and we checked much of Hoover Reservoir  for
waterfowl activity. The majority of the action was at the far north end of
the reservoir. Highlights were the Red-throated Loon off the northeast end of
Oxbow Island and the Eared Grebe off the boardwalk at Area M. The Eared Grebe
has been my bane as I have missed it in 5 prior tries, whereas it cooperated
for  everyone else. It made up for it by putting on a show while fishing close
to the  boardwalk. At the rate it was catching and eating fish it’s going to
need a long  runway to take flight.

Our list at Hoover Reservoir this afternoon included:

Red-throated Loon (1)
Common Loon  (75+)
Pied-billed  Grebe  (25)
Horned Grebe  (40)