OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

From:
Geoff Malosh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Geoff Malosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2006 21:44:05 -0500
Hi folks,

This is actually a cross post from the PA-Birds list, but since the bird
was seen in Ohio too, I though I should post directly to this list. A
POMARINE JAEGER passed the Roderick Wildlife Reserve overlook in
Pennsylvania today and was seen flying into Ohio waters. The overlook is
literally only a few hundred feet from the Ohio/PA state line, and
Conneaut Harbor is easily visible from the bluffs at the overlook. It is
too far away to identify anything but the larger birds at the harbor
from the overlook, but the Ohio waters between the harbor and the state
line are easily close enough to monitor from Roderick.

After I left Roderick, I stopped briefly at the harbor itself. Hunters
were out in force so I didn't wander around too much, but I did find one
Great Egret and five Black-crowned Night-Herons still present, along
with two Greater Yellowlegs and one Dunlin.

Here are the details about the jaeger I just posted to PA Birds:

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

This morning just after 9:00 AM, a POMARINE JAEGER passed the overlook
at Roderick Wildlife Reserve (extreme western Erie County) about 150-200
yards offshore. It was close enough for me to feel comfortable calling
it based on jizz and prior experience with the species at similar
seawatches on the Atlantic Coast and on pelagic trips. It was moving
west into Ohio and did not stop except to briefly give chase to four
Ring-billed Gulls, which scattered off the water at the sight of the
jaeger like cockroaches in a suddenly bright room. It was actually
almost comical to see them panic as the jaeger coursed in. One of them
just flopped around on the water as if it was trying to fly in three
different directions at once! Fortunately for it, the jaeger chased one
that took flight, but it gave up quickly and kept moving.

I have been very intrigued by and impressed with this location over the
last two autumns as a vantage from which to watch Lake Erie. The
elevation (about 100 feet above the water) allows for an commanding view
of the lake, and allows the observer to see quite clearly much farther
out than is possible from the beaches of Presque Isle State Park. The
Ohio state line is literally a stone's throw east of the overlook, and
one can easily see down into Conneaut Harbor from the bluffs and
identify the larger birds with a spotting scope. Any bird that is
tracked as it flies past the overlook can be counted in both states.

This was my third lakewatch from the overlook this season. The first two
were absolutely dead, but today finally paid off.

Good birding,
Geoff Malosh
Pittsburgh, PA